We review books for girls that focus on girls and women as powerful, active, interesting makers in charge of their lives. We avoid books with females as passive beings who are mainly acted upon or observing others.
We seek books for girls that celebrate females in all their complexity and through their experiences and accomplishments. We support girls to express their voices, opinions, problems, needs and dreams as they grow from girlhood to womanhood. We support girls in reaching out, empathizing, and being allies to each other, even when they disagree.
Our members, their parents and adult allies (teachers, librarians, youth workers) value our recommendations on books for girls ages 8-14. We love to put books for girls on their radar screens via our social media accounts and magazine. To consider a book for review we always have at least one girl member and one parent or ally review it for us.
The easiest way for us to do this is with a digital file you upload to us using the short form below. Our members, parents and allies are all over the world and sending a digital file to the reviewers is the quickest and best way. You have our promise that we won’t share your file in any other way, ever. We totally respect and support your authorship.
Books have the best chance of a review in our magazine if they tie-in directly to one of our Issue Themes and/or one of our regular features and departments listed below.
- Go Girls: activists, adventurers, and athletes
- Global Village: articles by girls about their countries and cultures
- Voice Box: girls’ rights & opinions worldwide
- Fiction: featuring girl lead characters
- Body Language: honest info about girls’ bodies, changes and health
- Herstory: fascinating herstories of girls & women of the past
- Women’s Work: diverse interesting women and their careers
- Last Word: inspirational quotes from girls and women
- For the Curious: science, tech, engineering and math done by girls
- Make It: crafts, recipes, puzzles, and quizzes
- We work far in advance. The book review must be completed at least 6 months before the magazine issue it will appear in. Please don’t email or call to check on the status of your work – we’ll notify you if we decide to review the book.
Send a Digital File of a Book for Consideration by Completing and Submitting the Form Below
Ask for a Books for Girls Review