Practical pieces that help you gain perspective and realize you’re not alone in your questions about raising girls. From experts, regular parents, teachers, researchers, youth workers and girls.
Communication – Do you ever feel like you no longer speak your daughter’s language? We have articles about mother-daughter and father-daughter conversations, talking about tough topics, and making smart media choices.
- What if She’s Shy? by Amy Lynch and Susan McDonald – About 40% of all people are shy, but among junior-high girls, that number is more than 50%.
- Two Steps Back and Three Deep Breaths by Will Glennon – Our daughters have an incredible capacity for triggering gasket-blowing responses when we ask them questions. What we can do when those situations occur.
Education – School is a big part of girls’ lives, but she’s learning through all her interactions and experiences. These articles cover school, college, and learning outside the classroom.
- Are Girls’ Successes Hurting Boys? by Helen Cordes – More and more, boys are not as successful in school as girls. The best solution is reforming school so it’s inviting for both boys and girls.
- Is She Worried About College? by Ronna Wineberg Blaser – Girls as young as 10 might be worrying about college. Learn what’s right to say, depending on your daughter’s age.
Family Life – Families come in many configurations, and our experts have wisdom for all of them. Check out our articles on blended families, sibling rivalry, and non-parental adults in your girls’ life.
- When Grandparents Raise Girls by Anne O’Connor – Grandparents raise more of their grandchildren than ever before. Learn about the special challenges and rewards of raising grandgirls.
- Are You Her Parent or Her Friend? by Evelyn Bassoff, PhD – Don’t mistake all the fun you have together for a friendship between equals.
Friends – As girls grow up, their focus becomes more concentrated on their friends. These articles can help you support your daughter as she navigates these important relationships, from mean girls to group dates to friends who make choices she disagrees with.
- When Her Friends Make Bad Choices by Karen Rile – What to do when she’s part of a risky or hurtful activity? Here’s how to handle things with girls, parents, and at school.
- Trusting Your Daughter to Date by Joe Kelly – When do you think your daughter is old enough to date? Ask this question of other parents, and explore the real issues behind the answers.
Health – You know that health is about more than making sure your girl gets her yearly physical. Our health articles include information on mental health, sports, puberty, eating disorders, and more.
- Her First Diet by Carol Beck - Her diet may be a way of asking, “Am I good enough? Can I be who I really am?”
- When Self Esteem Runs Amok by Will Glennon – Does your daughter balance self esteem with empathy?
Popular Culture – Popular culture is a powerful influence on girls, especially in the tween and teen years. Discuss how you help your daughter cope with its power, especially in media including music, internet, tv & movies, videogames, apps, fashion, fads, and more.